05-07-2020, 09:12 PM   #9
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by benches1er View Post
Ok missed the memo - why aren't Canadian 1M's worth as much?
I don't think there's any rational reason why, in my opinion. But I believe it's true the price is somewhat lower in the U.S. market for whatever reason. I think you might be able to find support for this by looking at Bring a Trailer completed listings and doing an analysis.

If I were buying to keep, I'd tell myself the "objective value" of an already-imported Canada 1M is the same as a theoretically-identical U.S. 1M. That would be my walkaway price. Then I'd try to negotiate the price down based on the "market value" for Canada vs U.S. 1Ms, especially if I could find support from Bring a Trailer auction results. For someone buying to keep, I think the difference between the "objective value" and the "market value" presents a sort of mini arbitrage opportunity (effectively the same asset -- made on the same line, same specs, etc. -- for a slightly different price).

If I were buying and thought I might sell at some point in the next few years, I'd use the Canada 1M "market value" as my walkaway price since the fact that the car is from Canada could potentially have some small impact on the selling price in the future (though over time this difference could go away).

Now -- one could easily argue that, by virtue of being Canada 1Ms, these cars are not only rarer than U.S. 1Ms, but also less likely to murder you, thus making them more valuable than their U.S. counterparts. Especially if the speedo is original and uses the metric system. Based on novelty alone, I'd take a "metric speedo" over my "freedom units speedo" any day. It's just cool.

It's a good thing the Canada 1Ms didn't get the euro rear fog light switch or our U.S. 1Ms wouldn't be worth anything!
Appreciate 1
nachob2316.00