View Single Post
      08-24-2017, 08:43 PM   #52
WhatsADSM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
As stated earlier, the DME only commands 100% water pump duty cycle at WOT or 108f... You usually spend most time at partial throttle and the ambient threshold is pretty much never going to be achieved.
I'm not sure where you are getting this statement:
"the DME only commands 100% water pump duty cycle at WOT or 108f"

Do you have any data to back this claim up?

The 108*F number you are quoting is the ambient temp to kick into the "High + KFT" table. These tables lower the water temp set point from the normal set point (106C to something much lower). However the data fe1rx posted shows water temps way way above the set point. Any reasonable control algorithm (I'm guessing its PID-based) in the DME should have saturated and be attempting to run the water pump HARD (like full on) to get back down to the set point. Tuning those tables differently will just change the set point (of a saturated control system) even lower... hard to imagine that makes any difference.
If I set my AC in my house to 40*F, I'm sure it won't get there. If I then lower it to 30*F will that change anything? If you are seeing consistent 280*F oil temps on track will a BMS oil temp bypass fix your oil temp problem?

So yea unless I see some real data (best would be actual temp changes from back-to-back tunes, otherwise duty cycle data under an overtemp situation), I am not believing tuning the coolant tables to a lower setpoint is going to help.
Appreciate 0