View Single Post
      08-25-2017, 12:38 PM   #55
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
There does appear to be an improvement, but its not very big. On average roughly 3*F for coolant and oil temp. Interestingly the maximums are very close between the runs. Also it looks like the IATs were actually hotter with the COBB tune. Not sure the state of the modifications on the car, but that tends to suggest the ambient temps were actually hotter when you ran with the stock tables... Which makes the small improvement even less believable.
Seems like a bigger difference then that, but I don't know how you trimmed the data. Temps for the MHD tune don't hit the same temps for the COBB tune until almost the end of the session. The gains are seen every lap before then... you can't trim that data out lol And again, the MHD tune was seeing higher load peaks since coolant temps were lower and timing wasn't being pulled as much.

I get averages of (timestamp 300s-1250s):
MHD 200f coolant
COBB 212f coolant

MHD 247f oil
COBB 257f oil

I have a duct in place now that dumps air onto my turbo/exhaust manifold. I also wrapped all my piping in heat tape. Seems to have dropped IAT's a few degrees, but it was hard to quantify. Weather was 100% 88f and 86f. Next HPDE I can try stock cooling settings and then run the next session with race cooling settings. For now, this is the best data I've got and doing this type of stuff on track is usually the last thing on my mind! It takes a lot of time and effort to get good recordings and then to analyze the data.

Also to note is that I had PPK flashed as a base tune with the COBB flash. Those were not the "stock" cooling tables in the first log. PPK tune most certainly revised the cooling over stock, but not nearly as aggressively as MHD settings. That may be why I see a bit better cooling in all my HPDE logs vs others that don't have PPK base tune.

Last edited by bNks334; 08-25-2017 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0