11-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #1
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

N55 Ticking/Rattling on Acceleration WITH VIDEO

Video:

Need some help from you guys. My 2012 N55 135i has been having a ticking noise under acceleration for about a year now. Car has 70k miles on it and I noticed a few months after I bought it last year, that with my radio off and windows down i can hear a ticking sound from the front of the car. With the windows up you don't hear it. AC on and off is the same. Sport or comfort mode same.

Only happens when the engine is fully warmed up and between the rpms at idle to 3K. After 3K the ticking goes away. There is NO sound revving in neutral/Park. Its silky smooth sounding revving in neutral without anything abnormal.

Its more noticeable when driving next to a wall or highway divider where the sound echos. If i apply very light throttle, no ticking. Moderate to heavy throttle it ticks up to 3K and stops.

Car is stock besides an intake, and this issue hasn't seemed to affect drivability at all. I'm really interested in going pure stage 2 in the future though, and would feel a lot more at ease if I figured this out before investing too much money into it.

Any ideas guys?
Appreciate 0