06-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #310
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeyore View Post
About a week or two ago, I actually started a thread asking about the UCP.

Do you have it?

When I asked about it, the thread really became a discussion about the BMS clutch stop and CDV delete (both of which I'm in process of doing). So in that regard it was helpful.

But I'm interested to know more about the UCP. Did you install it, or a shop? Did you go through a progression from clutch stop to CDV delete to UCP? Etc.

Asking because I'm really trying to straighten out the pedals (for track mainly), and if this would be helpful I'd certainly put it back on my punch list.
I have a thread on my clutch travails:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...hlight=bushing

"Brief" summary:

The BMS Clutch Stop was one of the first upgrades I made to my car.
Definitely appreciated the shorter throw, but was still bothered by the delayed reaction and jerkiness, as well as squeakiness of the bushing.

Installed one of the CDV Delete valves. Was very happy with clutch response, but still annoyed by squeakiness.

Installed the AKG Delrin bushings. P-I-T-A. They were a little oversized - need to make 'em less wide to get the c-clip back on. Over-center spring was a nightmare. Cracked one of the pin retaining rings = broken clutch pedal. Went back and forth on "stock pedal but pay someone to do it" or "UCP and DIY." I went the DIY method of the UCP.

SOOOOOO much easier to install than the stock pedal! Not even funny! 45 minutes of futzing around vs 5 hours of beating myself up.

The UCP has some captive bronze bushings. I polished 'em a hair with 2500 & 5000 wet/dry then Mothers Mag/Aluminum. Cleaned up 'em and greased with Redline Moly. Not sure where the AKG bushing are right now. Don't care.

It also came with a nice big clutch stop. I went nuts and used the full UCP stop with the full BMS clutch stop. Car wouldn't start - clutch didn't disengage fully. Pulled out one layer of stop and have had no problems and just love it.

UCP is slightly grittier-feeling than the delrin AKG bushings were - slightly - but this thing never binds, never squeaks, and is completely 100% consistent. I put the spring in the middle "sport" position and have not tried "comfort" or "track" because, frankly, it's just right.
I haven't measured it, but while travel is shorter overall there is actually some overtravel on reset once the clutch is fully engaged. But the feel is great, it's progressive, easy to modulate, quick, sharp, and like I said, consistent. No slop, no give, no bending or shifting. Brilliant.

DIY is still a little bit of a pain. I found it much easier, and better on my back, when I placed an ottoman just outside the driver's door to rest my lower body on. And nicer with my 10 year old handing me tools and finding the one that rolled underneath me. Worst part for me, really, is I have a 6+ foot wingspan and when I stick my arm up in the pedal box my fingers are above everything I want to work on. So I had a kink in my wrist for a little bit... Using allen-head bolts instead of pins to secure the springs was a stroke of genius.

I haven't tracked my car but, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't do it on the stock pedal/stop/lock valve - but wouldn't hesitate on my current setup.

If you've got the itch, and the scratch, do it. You won't be disappointed.
Every day I drive my car, I say to myself "Wow. I LOVE this clutch."

Last edited by tjswarbrick; 06-06-2016 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 1