07-25-2018, 01:49 PM   #6
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
He is in fact heel toeing in that video. Not to mention the claim that senna "brakes harder" than any of us is just silly. Anyone can push a brake pedal and apply maximum effort. Senna was fast because he really, really knew how to drive not because he was a strongman on the pedals.

Trust me, get up to a decent speed and try to do an emergency stop while downshifting. When you hit ABS you'll know you're stopping hard enough and you can back off a little. The proof's in the pudding and you can go out and do it this afternoon. Your brake pedal will go down WAY further than it does during your normal driving and you will be forced to heel toe unless you want to uncontrollably hold the gas wide open.
What I am referring to as using side of foot to "heel toe", is what is being done in the video - my apologies if that wasn't clear.

Also the video was more of a joke to show that side of foot "heel toeing" can be just as effective, I understand any of us can press a brake pedal harder.

In any case, if it doesn't work for you - use your heel! Was just sharing my experience, including instances of hard braking.

-Jon

BMW CCA Member -- NCC Chapter
Appreciate 0