View Single Post
      04-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Question Whole car vibrates when turning steering wheel at low speed...

Hey fellow addicts. I'm hoping someone here can offer up some advice, because I don't really know what's going on with my car. Any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated.

The whole car seems to vibrate/shudder/shimmy when I turn the steering wheel slightly from center in either direction at low speeds (<5 mph). This happens both with the brake depressed (decelerating) and not. It seems to happen when I pull into my driveway and garage slowly, or when pulling into or backing out of parking spots. Otherwise, I'm not really going 5 mph. At higher speeds it doesn't happen at all.

It only happens when the steering wheel is just barely past center, and then it stops shuddering once I get about 1/4 turn or half a turn in, and then it's fine turning the rest of the way. If I start with the wheel centered, then just as I start turning it, I feel the shaking, and then I turn it just a little bit more and it's suddenly back to normal until I lock the wheel all the way left or right. There is no noise that I can tell accompanying this.. maybe just the squeaking of my super squeaky brakes.

I only noticed it really happening after my GF pointed it out, but it definitely did NOT happen before 1) installing M3 control arms + sway bar and 2) putting on 19" wheels.

I have NO idea what it could be, but I'm assuming it can't be too good. Did the install on the M3 parts get messed up and that's why it's all shakey? I can imagine that might be the case, especially since the control arms are connected to the wheels that steer.. but what could have gone wrong with such a relatively simple install?? I don't know, but any help would be awesome and very much appreciated.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0