07-08-2018, 03:33 AM   #393
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30ROB View Post
I recently swapped my 128i cluster as well for the 1M cluster. Plugged in without changing eeprom or any coding and works great. I will re-visit eeprom another day, in the meantime ill deal with the tamper dot.

Having the oil temp is key. Next I will be putting an OEM oil cooler on the car to help keep temps down and a catch can to keep residual out of the intake manifold. When I swapped to the N54 manifold the N52 manifold had a poooool of oil inside of it right before the throttle body outlet.

Looking good Bob!
I am running 5w-40 castrol oil, engine only has a software tune.

Mending airfield track day was seriously hot, maybe 43c+ on track. It was so hot that the Merc C63 AMG, two 991.1 911 turbos and a newer F80 M3 were forced to pit in after 3-5 laps.

Oil temp on my 125i were just a smudge over 120c (fitted a 135i cluster and coded). Remember, this is redlining 3rd gear on 2 corners and reaching 170-ish kph on the long straight, whole track is 3rd gear and never dropping below 4,000 rpm and sitting constantly at 5,000-6,000 rpms.

I always do some cooldowns and warmups before starting and ending my session, which is also key. 99% of everyone just blasts off the moment they get on track and not enough cooldown.

These cars do not run hot unless the weather is really beating down, traffic or seriously pushed. I always go on track with AC off, which also helps.

I know some people run a thinner oil, 0w-40/0w-35/0w-30 which are just too think IMO. I still still believe there is no need to run a 0w oil in these cars unless you live in Alaska/Greenland/Antarctica but again that is MY opinion.

Just checked some intake boots on my car yesterday, bone dry no oil films at all, maybe you need to check the factory AOS and connections in your car? NA engines rarely leave a film of oil.
Appreciate 0