08-14-2019, 05:47 PM   #661
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
Great post. How do you know when it's time to thatch? I have done just a little area (5x5') in my back yard in the past and got a good amount of 'thatch' and I did it with just a rake.

I'm thinking I need to do my yard because the grass is a little thin in spots. When I do a "pull test", some grass comes up as well. The 'thin' sports aren't real noticeable from more than 3-4' away, but if you get down on your knee and part the grass with your hands, you can tell it's quite thin in certain areas. It almost seems like water and nutrients may not be soaking down to the root as well as it should be and just kind of stagnating on top of the soil thus the reason some grass pulls out when I do a pull test.

Almost indicating the roots could be shallow or something. Need all those nutrients to get down deep!!!

This is my first season more involved with the yard so I have a lot to learn, but have already learned quite a bit from this thread and the lawn care nut and other videos on YouTube.
I learned from the lawn gurus of YouTube. for dethatching usually it's at the beginning of Spring to get all the dead grass up. and than in the fall time just before you reseed if you plan on reseeding. I dethatched because I had lawn fungus and a lot of the dead grass was just sitting here. so the dethatcher helped pull most of it out.

if you're pulling up a patch of grass and it's actually coming up it could be quite a few things. one it could be grubs are eating your roots. is the grass brown? also, it could be the roots are very shallow and not deep enough to hold. I use RGS to stimulate root growth. since Fall is upon us I would think about doing a dethatch, aerate and an overseeding since you're saying your lawn looks a bit thin. i'm looking to do this at the beginning of September.

This year is pretty much done if you ask me as far as trying to develop a deeper root system. I would suggest doing this next year. look into the NEXT products particularly RGS and HUMIC12. that's going to help amend your soil and promote Root development

Allyn the Lawn Care Nut has already put out a couple of videos on overseeding since it's coming up
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0