houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by charris95 View Post
Great write up. I want to do this upgrade as well. For those of you having issues with car going into limp mode at WOT, I had the same issue. Spent money on chasing the problem and it never got fixed. It wasn't until I came across a post that talked about the type of coil packs he was using. Apparently back then delphi made all the coil packs for bmw. The ones he and I was using were the ones that were made in China. The BMW coil packs were made in Portugal at the time. So I switched back to my old coil packs and never had that issue again. The issue was with the insufficient insulation of the china made coil packs. Spark would escape and run straight to the alternator causing it to spike and shorting it out. I since switched to the Precision Race Works coil setup and all is well. Haven't had an issue since.
Thanks. If your are looking to upgrade and are not in a rush my recommendation would be to wait for the PS3 and decide which one best fits your needs. Results are not that far away.

Yeah, thank god for those posts! I figured out my issue the same way. No issues on stock coil packs with 50k miles on them. I did get another set of Delphi’s, this time from fcp, so I am covered if they end up defective. Crossing my fingers they aren’t.
Appreciate 0