12-25-2010, 11:56 AM   #75
spiderz17
Not a BMW Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshields View Post
So if my reading comprehension is serving me correctly, the fact that engine has to be unique from anything else in the BMW lineup is more important then the overall performance of the car, and is what defined BMW M, correct? That is why BMW M has "lost its way", correct?

What that basically means is that the engine (and car) is just a status symbol to you.

Id suggest moving onto a car from Modena (even the cars from Stuttgart share engines between models), if that is the case, because this isn't the first M car to use an engine based on a lowly production series car. Do your homework on the S14 in the E30 M3, the 240HP S50 and even the venerable S54 was based on the dare I say it... the M52 that you could also find in the 325i. But the E30 M3 can't be a real M car, it only had a modified cylinder head on top of a 318i engine, BMW M must have clearly lost its way back in the '80s.

I think the drivers among us will appreciate the car's performance once we get it in our hands. For the status hogs, I sincerely don't understand why you would be looking at a 1M, it is a 1-Series afterall.... <extreme sarcasm>
Wow, You're on a roll, keep it coming!!

You've eloquently stated what's been rolling around in my mind the entire time folks on here have been griping about an M sharing a powerplant with a lowly AG car.
Appreciate 0