View Single Post
      03-05-2015, 10:24 PM   #107
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff500 View Post
Is there not a better solution though? Surely you want to take advantage of the maximum available wheel envelope? Is there an opportunity for a change in spring winding (keep the rate, width and length but remove the chance of binding within he available travel?)
Feel free to look for a better solution!

Your choice needs to accomplish this:

1) your ride height is acceptable (to you)

2) you have clearance for your chosen wheel and tire

3) your bump travel is limited by stop, not by coil bind

4) under any normal bump, your spring is not compressed beyond the recommended maximum

5) minimal spring preload is desirable to minimize the chance of lifting a front wheel under limit cornering

I think my solution meets all of the above, so I am not looking for a better one. As they say, "better is the enemy of good".

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ryan_ View Post
Something like this would make me feel a little better about running 8" springs. What is the effort to replicate?
Do you consider this setup to introduce additional risk of component failure?
I don't follow your questions. Replicate what? Additional risk relative to what?

What I have documented is a change to my 2014 spring setup, which resulted in spring damage (not failure). This change is intended to eliminate the cause of that spring damage. 8" springs would not work for me because they would not provide my desired tire clearance.
Appreciate 0