View Single Post
      09-24-2018, 07:33 PM   #1
Jeb_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

128i Alignment: What I asked for vs. What I got.

After keeping it stock for two years other than staggered wheels from a 135i, I decided to finally start down the rabbit hole of modifying my base 128i.

The plan is to get it to perform better at autocross and on the track while keeping it somewhat bearable on the road (it's currently my only car).
This weekend I started by installing e90 M3 front control arms and Dinan fixed camber plates. I went to get an alignment this morning and asked them to shoot for as much negative camber as possible, 0 toe in the front, and 1/16" - 1/8" toe in in the rear.

I came to these numbers after doing some research on this forum and seeing that the general consensus with these cars is to get as much negative camber as you can, try to minimize toe at the front to keep the tires from wearing unevenly, and a small amount of toe in at the rear so the back end doesn't get too squirrely. Do I have that right?

Anyways, after what feels like too long I get called up to the desk to talk to the service manager who states that they got it aligned to my specs but it isn't handling well at all. If the steering wheel got off center at all the car would pull in real hard and he didn't think it was safe to let the car leave like that. I didn't get a chance to drive the car but I took his word for it and agreed to let them play around with the toe.

After a short while longer, this is what i got the car back at:

I was hopping for a little more front camber but with everything stock except for the control arms and un-adjustable camber plates, I'm not surprised. So far I haven't taken many turns other than going up and down the levels of a parking garage. But the car definitely does turn in better. I was worried that the zero toe at the back would be an issue, but so far it feels manageable. I guess the true test of the new alignment will be at the next autocross in a couple weeks.

I am a bit worried about the tow in at the front. Is anyone else running similar toe that can speak to any issue with tire wear or lack thereof?
Appreciate 0