View Single Post
      09-25-2018, 05:26 PM   #13
Jeb_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

Haha, never thought of it quite like that. But that is the convention I've always followed, positive = wheels in towards the center-line while moving forward. I thought that was the generally accepted convention, but it's looking like it may not be universal...

Somewhat of an update, I think I'm getting to the bottom of this. So I talked to the service adviser from yesterday. He hasn't been able to turn up record of the other alignment yet, but from the notes he made for the tech it looks like I was misheard.

I said something along the lines of:
"In the front, I'm looking for maximum negative camber, which should be between -2 and -3 degrees, And 0 toe. In the rear I'm also looking for the most negative camber possible but it will probably be less, and around 1/16" to 1/8" of toe in."

What ended up on the notes for the technician was:
Front: max negative camber, -2 degrees
-3 to 0 toe
Rear: -2 degree camber
1/16" to 1/8" toe in.

Knowing that, it looks like the alignment sheet I have is from the initial alignment. Now it sounds like someone in the line of work of doing alignments would instantly see 3 degrees of toe and know something was off, but that's whatever. Based off of that it looks like they were thinking of - toe as "toe in" and + toe as toe out. For a 25.4" diameter tire with 0.03 degrees of toe you end up roughly 0.03" of toe for one wheel, 1/16" total. So they got the amount of toe right, they just went the wrong way....

Moral of the story is that I don't believe my car currently has 3 degrees of toe in. I just have no idea what the actual alignment specs are.
Appreciate 0