01-01-2014, 04:29 PM   #68
nunka
perpetually salty
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW 6MT 128i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianN54 View Post
Seems many of you 128 guys are real sensitive about their engines but you and fellow 52 guys can spout with all sorts of knocks on about others( N20, N54, N55...) take a gander right in this thread here of all the complaints from you guys about the new engine, which replaces yours. Chock full of ' my n52 is better that that new one'.
Going to ignore the childish argument between you two to make a quick point about this...

Let's put aside the widespread trend of fervently justifying and defending one's investments---which you'll find is the case with almost every make and model. Let's also forget any arguments about which engine has better "performance." This isn't really about that. I've noticed that N52 owners (myself included) are a bit proud to be here at the end of an era, if you will. The naturally aspirated inline-6 is dying. Many enthusiasts don't care. We do. If you'll allow me an odd analogy, we're like critics of e-books: we love the sound, the heft, the smell, and the texture of a nice leather-bound tome or weathered paperback. For us, jamming a hundred books in the same little device eliminates certain aspects that we feel are essential to the best reading experience. See what I mean? It's about the feel, the sound, the reliability. Not 0-60 times. Not ridiculous torque. Not the biggest, boldest turbos. We're more interested in those elusive qualities that newer engines can't seem to capture.
Appreciate 0