chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKumarM3 View Post
chad

yes, i love walking through the shop and speaking to the techs. it is a common failure. at an alarmingly high rate here in NYC as well.

also, get the Rogue Engineering Transmission mounts. They will assist in that "gap" between 1 and 2. No drivetrain loss at all.

If/When you ever come to NYC, please come visit me and I will give you the grand tour!
I will without a doubt get in touch with you before my next NYC trip. I usually get up there at least once every few years and would love to come check out the dealership there. Sounds pretty in line with what I've been reading about the high number of failures. I wonder if a recall will ever be issued for replacements as more and more 958s rack up mileage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesea View Post
I'm very excited about this install chadillac2000 . I agree regarding the transmission mounts - I went with the UUC Black ones but there's a fair amount of gear noise in 1st and 2nd, but it makes a huge difference in that gap when launching hard from 1st. I just crank the volume on the radio a bit louder.
With a few people vouching for transmission mounts, it was enough to warrant researching what's available out there. I'm not interested in any gear noise increase as this is my daily driver, even if that means retaining a bit of slop. The truth is, that I find my CDV-delete + ZHP knob + BMS clutch stop combo very pleasurable to drive already. At this point I'm just looking for slight improvements and added noise would outweigh the positives for me at least. I need to research if there are any silent upgrades that would tighten things up just a bit. That's something that I would be interested in.

---------------------------------------------------------

I've been tempted to install the OEM BMW Performance short shift kit that arrived recently, but will remain patient until a few other parts arrive and I can install everything at once. A set of Whiteline subframe bushing inserts, a Boost Addictions V2 differential lockdown kit, and Redline 75W90 for the rear differential are on the way.

While I wait for everything to arrive, my next oil change could not. The 75,000 interval had come and this would bring about the transition from OEM BMW oil to Motul. I'd put a combined 150,000 miles on N54 engines, changing the oil over 20 times, but not once had I used anything other than OEM BMW oil.

I ordered a set of Rhino Ramps for oil and transfer case fluid changes on the Cayenne, but thought I would try them out on the 1er as well. I had just enough clearance on my lowered E82.

I enjoy being able to buy Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W40 in 5 liter jugs with spouts. This makes pouring much easier and cuts down on twisting off lids.

I had the opportunity to use this new tool, and can say for the very first time, that I didn't get one drop of oil on me during this entire oil change. I loosened the Dimple Plug, then attached this magnetic drain plug remover to fully remove.

After removing the old oil filter, I always try my best to get as much of the old oil out of the oil filter housing. I'd be very interested to see how much old oil is retained in the lines and cooler part of the oil cooler system after completely draining the pan and getting as much old oil out of the filter housing as possible.

The OEM/Mann oil filter kits are the only way to go. I've seen other brands collapse and lived it first hand on my other N54 engine in my E60 when I let a local Euro shop change my oil. This is when I vowed to never let anyone else change the oil in my vehicles as long as I live. Always replace the green and black o-rings on the oil filter cap as well. It may be a good idea to hang on to a few of the larger black o-rings, or order a few extras -- I recently heard these are the same o-rings used in the N54 charge pipe, but I haven't confirmed myself.

Using the BMS tool makes removing and installing the cap and filter extremely easy.

I used the handy measurement marks on the exterior of the 5 liter jug to measure out exactly 7 quarts before pouring it down the funnel. Ordering 3 of the 5 liter jugs gives me enough fluid for two oil changes, as well as having a little left over for topping off. I also took the opportunity to empty the Mishimoto OCC before firing up the car.

Last edited by chadillac2000; 06-05-2017 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
Matticus913474.50