View Single Post
      03-27-2018, 06:59 AM   #74
bionicbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z3 coupe, 128i

So I got back from NCM yesterday, I will give a little update on how the car did. Saturday was a boating session. I ended up second in class, and third overall with a 2:50.xxx. I ran the all season tires I drove to the event on, which as it turned out were pretty stellar. They are Vogue signature tires, and I got a set of four for $160 after rebates from DTD. Turns out they are pretty flippin good in the rain. I missed the class win by 0.06 seconds. But honestly, I am driving a new car, in the rain, so I am not mad. In fact, the last session of the day was some of the most fun I have ever had in a car. five cars deep at over 100mph in the pouring rain, can't see more than 50 ft in front of you, Good stuff Maynard.

On to Sunday, Third in class, no idea of overall. Dryish, but cold. Very cold. I did go ahead with the R7's, and ended up with a 2:29.85, and first would have needed a 2:26 to win. So, definitely off the pace. Last year in the Z, it was also cold, I I ran in the 2:27 range in TTD. The car was solid, but there is work to be done. I think after adding more front camber, and doing a proper corner balance, it will be in much better shape. But again, new car, and honestly, for some reason, I SUCK at that track. It was the only track I didn't win at least one day last year. That said, it is an incredible place and a hoot to drive. I for sure had the car on two wheels a few times coming off curbs. One guy said it reminded him of old DTM videos. I know I two wheeled all the way to the bottom of the sink hole once. Good times

As far as car set-up, I feel like the front is good, maybe a bit soft (650lb springs, stock bar) and the rear feels great. (450 springs, no bar) Front needs more camber, and the rear may as well, but is much closer to being good than the front. I did an Mfactory torsen rear, and I'm glad I did. I thought about a clutch plate LSD, but I have been driving on a torsen for years, and really like how predictable they are. This one is spot on. great in high high speed stuff, and the ability to rotate if need be in low-mid speed corners. Great stability.

Brakes are unbelievable. It is again, probably going to be the strength of this car, much like they were on the Z. I close some pretty good size distances under braking. G-Loc brake pads (R-16 front and rear) with frozen rotors. I did do the 328i calipers front and rear, rebuilt some junkyard pieces, and BW stainless lines. Unbelievable power to these brakes, and fantastic controlled input. they are very smooth when brushing the brakes to scrub a little speed or flatten the car. Great stuff.

Last edited by bionicbelly; 03-27-2018 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0