View Single Post
      03-28-2009, 03:45 PM   #38
Addict...Nah Im A Junkie!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, 98 M rdstr

Another useful thing for claying a car is to cut the clay bar into small balls the size of marbles. After this knead each ball before using it until it is nice and soft. You can store your clay in a small jar with some QD to keep it from drying out. I use each ball on only a small section of paint. Such as 1 wheel or a 2x2 section of paint, while using a lot of QD and kneading often. I then throw this piece of clay out and get another one even if the clay does not look like it has particles in it to you, it does. If you drop the clay, throw it out, don't even think of kneading it and continuing to use it (there are mean little particles on the ground every where and they want to eat your paint). This method is particularly nice for tar and break dust, which would require pressure with a wash mitt and soap, and do not require any pressure when removed with a clay bar. Hope this helps.

Clay is your friend, just use it right.

And yes, I go through QD like water, but QD is pretty cheap when compared to a respray.

Disclaimer- I'm no pro. But....I have washed my 1er 12 times in 5000 miles, and no scratches yet. I've used this method on my 98 M roadster for years and have only had to polish her once, no one ever believes she is the ripe old age of 11 years old asking if she is new. So for me this works well.

Also make sure you move your wash mitt in STRAIGHT swipes as to minimize the visibility in any scratches you create by washing and never press hard, thats what the clay and polish are for. Rinse the glove constantly, I use the 2 bucket method and spray the wash mitt with a hose BEFORE going in to the rinse bucket, if that tells you anything about how spastic my cleaning methods are.

And I love Zaino. Rant over.