12-24-2019, 02:59 PM   #4
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr2016 View Post
There is a gas station near my house that sells 95. Anyone use this? I'm told it has a longer shelf life (my car sits a lot), and since 91 is the only other local option I've been debating using it.
ETR, sorry you've had so many issues with your 1M. I am not an expert but just wanted to share some thoughts.

Here it goes:

First: What type of Octane number? In the US what you normally see in the pump is (AKI), and often written on pumps as (R+M)/2. I assume that Texas and Arizona have not left the union yet, so that's probably the case. : ) AKI is 4-6 points higher than RON. So in Europe 95 RON is basically the same as US R+M/2. So I would confirm what their Octane rating is.

Second: I don't believe Octane would make a difference in your case where the issues is sitting a long time. If the fuel is exposed to air and time some of the lighter elements can evaporate and moisture can develop in the tank. This is why it is recommended to top off the tank to keep as much air out. I am very careful about what I put in the tank but I have seen many use Stabil so if I store my car for 6 months, I would probably try it myself. I have noticed moisture builds up in the engines as well just from sitting and I have experience rougher running after the car sits. After I burn out the tank and use the car regularly it seems smooth out so even with fuel stabilizer, I would still expect it to run rough until the moisture is burned out of the system

So I think the next step is to try Stabil and see if it makes a difference. I would look at that over Octane rating. Also, Ethanol can attract water so see if you are using fuel with Ethanol. You might not have a choice but a lower amount of ethanol in the fuel might help too.

Best of luck, we hope you will get a lucky break and let us know how it goes and Happy Holidays.
Appreciate 0