View Single Post
      11-23-2009, 06:53 AM   #93
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettafanatic View Post
Actually... Pressure is inversely related to speed when it comes to tube diameters... Bernoulli, gotta love him... so Jeremy is correct... http://physicsed.buffalostate.edu/Wi.../bernoulli.gif

I had thought of building ( done it before for my race jetta using lexan plastic from baby incubator that had been discarded ) something very similar to what you guys came up with. There is no doubt that a closed system sucking air *efficiently* from outside of the engine compartment is a better solution ( in fact, that's essentially what the OEM airbox is, though the design could have been a lot better as it comes with inherent restrictions including the strange small squarish opening from the air filter compartment to the intake tubes... very small ). And I thnk you guys have done a proper job... It's because of people like you who keep trying to come up with "better" systems that we have a tuning market tiday ( the beauty of living in the US rather than Italy....
I applaud the design thought and effort though would make 2 suggestions:

-I would prefer an air filter with a built-in velocity stack ( i.e. Baker precision) or BmS style ( not sure if your stainless steels have that?).

-For those who already have a charge pipe and a strut bar (Mason) your design will not work... which is unfortunate... maybe a "shallower" box version should be available?

Let me explain;

Firstly, Jeremy mentioned a high speed flow, not an increase in speed of the flow. Thus I think that Bernoulli's principal that you mentioned is really not relevant here. Thanks for mentioning him thou, at least you are thinking from physics perspective.

Secondly, I am not an expert on this system, however my acception was that the system is not open to atmospheric pressure. I accepted the intake creates a constant flow(pressure) at a given speed of the vehicle thus this will cause an increase of pressure when the line gets smaller. Think it like pinching a garden house at one end and you will feel the pressure will built up on the line before the pinch. Now I might be wrong about this acception. If I am, please explain me in a PM so that we don't clutter this post.

Thanks.