View Single Post
      08-16-2018, 06:07 PM   #1
vegamanx
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i E88

Introductions and Questions

Hi.

I've also read a lot of posts, but wasn't sure if I should necro some old ones. Plus, I wanted to introduce myself, share what I've been through so far with CarMax for the benefit of other future 1 owners (or just purchasing any car in general), and I couldn't find any posts that deal with some of my car's specific issues.

Been lurking on here for the last 1/2 a year. Thanks for all the valuable info! I now have a 1er with sports seats. The lumbar support is amazing compared to my previous Miata. Now, get ready for some questions further below.

-128i
-2009 (Still says year of the one, as it was manufactured in Nov of '08)
-67k miles, SULEV
-Black Top Convertible
-Silver Exterior
-Black Interior
-Factory iDrive/Nav (wow, went from stone age to 21st century)
-Sports Seats, powered
-M Sports Suspension (would've passed on this because the roads in SF are not smooth)
-Comfort Access
-Added tune2air for bluetooth. Awesome! (Thx for the suggestion on the forum.)

Other details: a few minor scratches, looks like it was in a minor accident (no records popped up about at Carmax/AutoCheck or on Carfax). But I did spot new bumpers on the front and back, no frame damage (had a mechanic check underneath), and no rust! So, it looks like it was a California car all its life. Oddly, the lug nuts were rusty, as were the calipers. Mechanic said that the calipers are fine that way for now. Lug nuts, got Carmax to replace them.

I was actually looking for a 135i, but that's hard to find as it is, with a manual and sports seats. Plus, all the car websites out there list DCT as manual, so the first thing I learned to look for was either the number of pedals the car had in the footwell, or the shift knob. This one popped up on CarMax late on night, so I quickly called them the next day and paid to ship the car up from SoCal (I'm in San Francisco) for $149.

Before that, my DD was an '01 LS Miata MT 6-speed. Got a lot of miles and smiles out of her, but with a growing family and having to duck my head a little to see when the street lights changed (or my hair constantly rubbing the headliner/soft top), it's time to move on. I did look at the 1 series back when I bought the Miata, but it was out of my price range.

As for the 1er, my issues mostly have to do with convertible, which was much easier with the Miata, since it didn't have hydraulics. I don't have the rear window issue like what's discussed here:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...ert+top&page=3, Plus, Carmax took care of the leaky rear window already! $$ saved. (The other issue is the TPM Sensor, which I haven't done too much reading about yet, but seems to be working now, or at least the tire pressure is now correctly inflated to BMW specs.):

1. Hydraulics overheat. More oil? That's my mechanic friend's suggestion. Dunno if Carmax handled it.

2. Some rubbing of the bottom of C pillar cloth on both sides, inside the car. Is this normal? Not this issue: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...light=C+pillar

3. Right side of convertible top pops out. (From inside the car, you can see light from outside.) Looks like it wasn't glued well or at all. Left side is A-ok. When the rear flap folds down, also found the rubber seal popped out. I can fold it back in, but there's no adhesive to keep it there. So after about 3-4 folds up and down, the corner pops out again.

4. I bought a new set of BMW rubber mats from eBay, but I was wondering if anyone else had issues with their Coco mats moving up and blocking the clutch from releasing back to engaged position? (The car came with Coco Mats, which match the trim but I'm not feeling it.) This happens every time I drive away from CarMax. Maybe the person who brings it out from storage kicks off when getting out of the car and pushes it forward?

5. How do the headlamp washers work? Mine don't recess into the bumper but stick out and are fixed.

6. A little squeak from the back, maybe around the cat? I'm thinking it's the heat shield and the rattling of my Miata's heat shield was much worse. Anyone know?

7. If your time pressure is low, shouldn't the sensor tell you that the tire pressure is low, not a malfunction w/ the sensor? (No more malfunction warning signal and tires are at listed PSI.)

8. Lastly, where's the temp gauge?! Does the car just shut down if it starts to overheat?

Any advice is welcome. I've got about 3 weeks left of my "30 days to bring back to CarMax to fix" period. I'm dropping the car off again next week, and I'll be out of town for a few days so it works out perfectly.

Much thanks!!!

Pictures here: My phone's photos are too large for the forum. I ordered the photos according to the questions.
Appreciate 1
Matticus913474.50