04-20-2019, 10:26 AM   #18
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
My wife and I will be in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland for 8 days next month. If you know the area, please share some great drives, cool B&Bs, amazing pubs or restaurants, and not-to-miss sites.

I'm renting a car at DUB and we have made zero reservations yet. I'm hoping to wing it and make the next night's reservation the day before so if we want to stay an additional day somewhere we are not constrained.

I've rented a manual transmission VW Passat and I'm looking forward to that experience. I've got plenty of right hand steering experience in England, Scotland, and New Zealand.

We've been wanting to visit this part of the world for a long time and its time!

Thanks for any suggestions.
Congrats on the trip, Ireland is an amazing place with so much to see and do.

Here are some recommendations:

If you plan to stay around the Dublin side/area for a day or two (I recommend you do) here are a few places nearby to visit:
Skerries - a small coastal/ port town, great views, food and drinks. Walk around the town.
- Stop by 'Stoop Your Head' for some amazing food and a few pints

- Swing by the Ardgillan Castle for a tour

Howth - a small peninsula with a small coastal/seaside town and castle

- Plenty of great restaurants on the Pier walk, we enjoyed Octopussys.
- Howth Castle is right across from the Pier

Dún Laoghaire - a small coastal town just south of Dublin. I always stay at the Royal Marine in Dún Laoghaire, it is close enough and far enough from Dublin to make it a perfect town to stay in.

Dublin
- Temple Bar area, hit it around lunch till dusk, it tends to get very crowded after darks. For a great burger, stop by ’The Counter’ for lunch.
- Jameson Distillery - Tour or not, stop by for a drink at their bar, look around and experience it. The bar serves some great cocktails.

- Guinness Storehouse (Brewery), do the tour, get the free Guinness at the 'Gravity Bar’, then enjoy some pints and live Irish music at 'ARTHUR'S BAR’ restaurant.

- Swing by The Brazen Head, officially Ireland's oldest pub, dating back to 1198. Have a few pints and some traditional food.

- Bruxelles Pub, a great pub, lively, lots of beer options and in a great location.

Honestly, you can stop in at just about any pub and will have a good time. I spent many days and nights just trying different pubs, have a pint and leave to the next one. It is a great way to experience that area.

Northern Ireland:

- Black Taxi tour is a must; http://belfastblackcabtours.co.uk (just one of the many)
I had a great time and learned a lot. Its mind opening to be inside and see the cells where people were held and died (Bobby Sands, hunger strike). They take you to all of the historic sites, the wall (they still close and lock it every night), a museum and the Titanic Museum. A great experience.
Other things to do that are worth the time and money: these include lots of walking
- Giants Causeway
- Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge
- Dunluce Castle

There are so many options to do, it really depends on what you like to do and see. There are many more popular tourist places to go as others have mentioned above.

Here are some things I consider a must (if you enjoy good beer)

Have at least one of the following:

- Hop House 13 (made by Guinness)

I always enjoy a
- Galway Hooker
- Cute Hoor (Whore)
- Baby Guinness ( a smooth/great ‘shot’ that looks just like a Guinness)

These are just my opinion, others may disagree. The pics are from some of my adventures there, I hope they get you excited for your trip.
Enjoy!