View Single Post
      12-22-2017, 01:29 PM   #29
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Scott, I know the first replies threw you off course, I hope you have been able to see now that they were in fact incorrect. There are several small changes in the base 1M that fact lower the weight. I don't believe the bumpers are any lighter on 1M than standard 135. In fact, they are wider and possibly few ounces more. I think it you were trying to save weight on your 135i, I would start with the easy things first. Get lighter wheels and aluminum hat rotors like BMW performance or some other brand. Cross drilled if possible for additional weight savings. You can take off the hood insulation. The 1M has none and it seems to do fine. The cars are 6 years old and don't see any heat damage to the paint. Next I would consider getting the manual seats or something even lighter. The suspension can be a lot of work but there are some aluminum M parts that might come over. If it's time to replace shocks and struts, opt for aluminum housing units like the 1M. Coilovers are usually steel because of the perch thread but Bilstein and maybe Sachs make aluminum housing replacements. The weight savings is not huge, but if you are already replacing them, it's also better as the aluminum housing also dissipates heat more evenly and more efficiently. As shocks get hot, performance drops. Finally anti-roll bars are heavy. You might find hollow ones that weight a lot less. I think Dinan used to make some.

Best of luck
Just for clarification, the 135 front rotors are already aluminium hats, so may not see any weight savings there. The hood insulation only came on the early 135's, it was dropped in later years. Not sure what year they stopped installing one. Assuming this was a cost cutting measure. My 13 came without hood insulation, I had to add it later on.
Appreciate 0