Thread: 1M or M2C
View Single Post
      06-13-2018, 05:21 PM   #24
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW MY12 1M

I think some of you have taken my post the wrong way. I’m not into smooth and docile, I’m into precision. The 1M doesn’t drive like BMW’s of old, it’s not the natural successor to the E30 despite what some folks say. From a performance driving perspective the viscolok diff is a horrible clunky thing. An older E36 diff is a normal LSD and far easier to drive on the limit as a result. There’s a very good reason why many serious drivers upgrade the viscolok to a plated clutch type.

The viscolok is great for everyday driving and safety giving more grip than an open diff especially in mixed friction conditions. In my opinion it has no place on a short wheelbase performance car designed to be a ‘drivers car’. Many drivers like to be able to steer with the throttle and be in control at all times. The stock diff makes that real hard because given a consistent torque input from the engine the diff will lock and unlock itself unsettling the rear end.

I guess the folks that like it, including journalists, like the slightly wild uncontrollable nature of it. It’s obvious though those people aren’t driving near the limit. Give it a poke the rear kicks out suddenly and they giggle giddily then go back to normal driving. It’s perfect for that style of everyday joe having a bit of naughty fun in 2nd gear driving. Not for me though I’m afraid, I prefer LSD’s that lock up on torque from throttle application not wheel speed difference. That gives me confidence in the car and I can have some proper fun.
Appreciate 3
gmx166.00
02M3ForMe4261.50