smeard
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Anytime I buy a used car, I change the oil two or three times in the first month.... just to flush out the engine. Oil is cheap(er) than internal engine parts.

IF you really only drive 15 miles to work... your engine is never warming up fully. I think you meant to say you also drive the car on longer trips(per week) - right? IF you only really drive 15 miles to your work... I'd be changing your oil every month! That's a sure fire recipe for sludge buildup.

For me... I would rather change the engine oil too(more) often than what the CBS says. An oil change every 15K(or 10K now) is what BMW says. But they are in the business to sell you a new car every few years. I plan on keeping my 1er... so I go a little bit over board with oil changes. Oil changes are really the only "real" servicing that a modern BMW see's these days. Sure there are other minor things... but fresh oil is the best oil!

Dackel
Yes 15 miles, but occasionally over 50+ miles in a day. Depends on when I have to do an errand that is beyond city limits, so i take highways. I have never heard of sludge build up issues on my engine (N51) even when the car gets 15k oil changes, but I understand the concern. I am almost definitely sure this car got new oil when I got it as the oil was literally golden and there were fresh oil stains on the engine cover. Leads me to believe they never reset oil life on CBS, so CBS has always read way less than 15k intervals (but the date was right, one year after purchase is next oil change). Also, the oil is still, after 4k enthusiastic miles, a nice light brown color. I think i will go ahead with the 5k changes when I hit 60k (only 3k more away)
Weekend - 1997 BMW Z3 M52, 5spd, Dunkelgrun: 230k mi, Intrax Springs on Bilsteins, Style 68s staggered
AutoX/track - 2012 F30 N20, 6MT BSM
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10588.50