11-16-2007, 07:05 AM   #288
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

The view from Bankok - BMW CONCEPT 1 SERIES / tii

BMW CONCEPT 1 SERIES / tii
Baby M3

BMW's latest concept car hopes to revive the famous 'tii' badge and could point to a driver-focused 1-series slated for production late next year

Aerodynamic add-ons help generate more downforce.

White rev-counter evokes motorsport spirit. Bucket seats have side airbags in them.

Is this the new "tii"?

Not exactly, despite that suggestive badge. According to BMW, this concept car is an interpretation of the brand's classic values with a focus on motorsport. Take a look at all those details in the pictures: aerodynamic enhancements, carbon-fibre bonnet, white rev-counter and bucket seats - with side airbags integrated into them to make the car street-legal.

Ah, a lightweight version of the 1-series Coupe'...

Hmm... you could say so, but basing on which One? At the moment, there aren't any special high-performance 1-series model available yet. The most powerful version is the 135i equipped with a 306hp twin-turbo 3.0-litre inline-six which is still considered a commoner in the BMW family. You know, lightweight spin-offs are usually reserved for cars with the evocative M badge - except for 3.0 CSL of yore.

You mean BMW is planning an M1?

That's tricky. First, the modern-day M1 doesn't really fit into the bill as that name belonged to the gull-winged supercar of yore. Second, what engine can sit above the 135i? The M3's 4.0-litre V8? Naw. That's the problem: the 135i is already a fast One.

Let's see... what about a more focused One?

Now that sounds logical. Remember, BMW wants to evoke memories of the "tii". So outright power is not exactly the same here. And couple BMW's comment about reviving classic values of the brand, we could be looking at an original M3 that came with four-cylinder power, compact body and driving agility. Today's M3 has double the amount of cylinders and far more bulk than the M3 of before.

You mean a lightweight 120i? You're not kiddin'...

At one time, BMW had sworn never to use turbocharging in their petrol engines. And look what there is now: the twin-turbo 3.0 that will eventually follow into all model line-ups ranging from the 1- to 7-series and X1 to X6. Turbocharging is essential to meet future emission requirements. That said, you could expect a turbocharged version of the brand's 2.0-litre direct-injection four-cylinder heads currently used on the 120i and 320i.

So that's what is under the bonnet of this concept car...

We really don't know. During the car's world debut in Tokyo last month, BMW was mum on what engine is lurking under the hood. So, it's just a wild guess, although such a blown four-pot really fits the "tii" bill, we think. Get back to the basics by going for light weight and agility. Don't even rule out an enhanced 123d which is equipped with an all-new twin-turbo four-cylinder motor.

You know what? I'm beginning to like this idea...

You're not alone. There are now several carmakers that have re-aligned their guns towards small, light and fun cars. Also at the Tokyo Motor Show was the Honda CR-Z concept car which is most likely to be a spin-off from the Civic model range when it is made in two years time. Future sports cars need to be light to survive CO2 legislation. And BMW, for one, is showing that with the "tii".

Four 1s

The BMW 1-series has once again expanded, the latest being the cabriolet body silhouette. Expect any to cost between B2.5 to B5m in Thailand in CBU form.

- Convertible
The just-announced Convertible gets a classic soft-top and reinforced body to yield an optimum level of handling. It could be for those finding the CC folding hard-top 3-series too bulky.

- Coupe'
This 1-series is at its best in 135i form: 306hp twin-turbo 3.0-litre inline-six to give a performance nearing an M3, but at half the price, at some B5m. Thai sales could be considered.

- 3dr hatch
More appealing to the Europeans than Asians who tend to go for the fashionable Mini models instead. New 123d equipped with all-new 2.0-litre twin-turbo diesel could boost sales prospects.

- 5dr hatch
Came to Thailand but wasn't a true success due to the presence of the equally priced Thai-made 3-series. In 120i form, it cost B2.8m - the same as 320i. Like 3dr, the 5dr could showcase the new crucial diesel unit.

ONE LAST THING :

BMW confirmed earlier this year that an X1 will be built. But expect the baby SUV to look more different than these four, despite sharing the same mechanicals.
Appreciate 0