View Single Post
      12-03-2017, 08:14 AM   #1
mabrahams
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport 28i

Project Space Oddity

I'm going to jump on bandwagon. This will be long. I want to use this post as a logbook for the car; so the more details the better.

Backstory: I've been around the BMW community for a long time. Started in the E30 community and branched out further. Roughly around May of 2016 I started looking to get back into track days or AutoX; and Kyle's car was the "look a BMW can be competitive". I told myself that I didn't want to get back into track days or racing due to the "what's the point?" mentality.

Disclaimer: I did not like AutoX at all when growing up. I used to do tons of Porsche, BMW, and other clubs AutoX events and absolutely hated it. I was much better at driving on track and pushing than I was at AutoX.

Search: Started to look at various boards and craiglist ads (across the state). I found Terry's (some of you know him) 128i in VA on craiglist. Was very close but just wrong timing. Like most (some?) of you, the M-Sport that I found were nice but had too many features; sunroof, electric seats, and automatics.

So Close: Around Jan/Feb 17, I found a Space Gray M-Sport 128i unicorn (they are all unicorns). No sunroof. No options. Automatic (really 6spd). It was at a BMW dealership on the east coast of FL but during this time; all BMW dealerships were going through the no-sale on cars with a takata airbag recall. I asked if the car was still there and they stated it was sent off to auction.

It was meant to be?: May 2017, over the course of May, I was emailing a dealership about a Space Gray M-Sport 128i; which I later found out was the same one I stated above. The car had jumped from BMW dealership, to a sister Mazda dealership, to another sister Jag/LandRover dealership. Took an Uber to the opposite coast (first time using an Uber).

Details of Car: Space Gray, 128i. Prod date: 4/17/10. M-Sport. 6SPD. Leather manual seats. No Xenons. No Sunroof. Unicorn. 96,280 miles. 2 Owner car / CPO. The car (obviously) was over polished by the dealership but inspecting the car; it was absolutely clean. Yes, minor wear on the touch points but nothing else to report. After getting the car home and inspecting on the lift, I was asked if this car was ever driven. No leaks. Nothing major to report.

Driving home:

The Plan: The goal was clear from when I started looking. I was going to be committed to this AutoX goal. Building the car to STX spec (as you've seen with other build) will be a long road.

Build Details: Will keep this updated.
Active Autowerke Tune
Active Autowerke Headers
JRZ RS2 (Thanks again to chris82)
Vorshlag Camber Plates
1M Stut Bar
E93 M3 Front Sway Bar
7" SWIFT 60mm 398LBS
9" SWIFT 60mm 784LBS
AKG Swaybar Adjustable Links Front and Rear
AKG Transmission Mounts
AKG Rear Shock Mounts
OEM 135i Front Brakes (Thanks again to spxxx )
Front SS lines
17x9 Kosei with 255/40/17 RE71s. 10mm spacer up front. None in rear.
No body modifications.
VAC Floor Mounts
Sparco Grid II Seats
Steel Side Mounts
J. Vitamvas Offset Bushings

Setup:
The car still hasn't had a professional alignment but so far 1/18th toe out and zero toe in the rear. Roughly -3 degree camber in front and -2.3ish degree camber in the rear. No idea on what power it's making and no idea on weight. 255/40/17 RE71s on 17x9 Kosei K8R wheels. 10mm spacer up front.

2017 Event Results:

July 1st Fast Brooksville M2, which is CS/DS/FS cars (16 cars in M2, placed 7th)
July 22/23rd SCCA Brooksville STX (10 cars in X, placed 6th out of 10) Pax'd 11 out of 44
Aug 5th SCCA Daytona STX X (6 cars in X, placed 3rd out of 6) Paxed 16 out of 74
Aug 27th SCCA Brooksville STX X (10 cars in X, placed 5th) Pax'd 11 out of 42
Oct 14th SCCA Brooksville STX X (5 cars in X, placed 2nd) Pax'd 2nd out of 53
Nov 16th, Track day at The Firm
Dec 2nd FAST Brooksville M2, which is CS/DS/FS cars (2 cars in M2, placed 1st) Pax'd 2nd out of 27)
Dec 30th FAST Brooksville M2. Four cars in M2. Pax'd 5th out of 44, 4th fastest raw time, 1st in class.

2018 Event Results:

Jan 13th FAST Brooksville M2. Nine cars in class. Pax'd 4th out of 98, 5th fastest raw time out of 98, 1st in class.
Feb 8th GCAC Ft. Myers PROSTX. 6th pax'd out of 90. 5th out of 13 in PRO class.
Feb 18th SCCA Dixie SGMP. 6th out of 16 PRO class.
March 3rd-4th SCCA Match Tour Ft Myers. 1st in STX out of 5. 2nd in top dog challenge.
March 17th-18th SCCA Champ Tour SGMP. 7th in STX out of 19. 125 pax out of 280.
April 8th GCAC Ft. Myers PROSTX. 4th out of 13th in PRO. 5th out of 73 pax.
June 30th FAST AutoX Brooksville. 6th out of 12 M2 class. 54 out of 93 pax.
Nov 25th, SCCA Brooksville X. 1st out of 5. 10 out of 45 pax.

2019 Event Results:
Jan 6th, GCAC Ft. Myers PROSTX. 8 out of 14. 9 out of 85 pax. http://www.gulfcoastautocrossers.com...event1_fin.htm

2020 Event Results:
Jan 5th, GCAC Ft. Myers PROSTX. 9th in PRO with GCAC out of 19. 11th in PAX out of 92. http://www.gulfcoastautocrossers.com...event1_fin.htm

Maintenance:
~96k Miles: New fluids (transmissions, diff, oil, coolant, p/s). P/S reservoir. All 6 plugs. Cabin filter.
~98k Miles: All four new speed sensors.
~100k Miles: Serpentine belt, idler and tensioner pulley changed. New wiper blades.
~102k Miles: DTML Pump and Crankshaft Sensor

Step 1: First thing done was change all the fluids out. New P/S reservoir as well. Cabin and air filters done. Fitted 255/40/17 Falken 615s on Kosei K1s. Before any suspension work was done; I wanted to get a baseline for the car. Everyone (and I mean everyone) stated the car understeers badly. I did not notice this (and this was with stock M-Sport suspension and strut pin removed).

The goal was to get a true baseline. Yes; the tires were NOT competitive compared to what was out there; but they were cheap and wanted to see where the car's faults are.

Events that happened during this time: July 1st FAST event. This was really the first time I've been to an AutoX in a long time (5+ years) and the times really showed it: 43.686+1, 43.128+DNF, 46.722+DNF, 43.807. Even though it's months ago, the event was very important to me and the car. I wanted to make sure I was mentally ready. I also wanted to see how the car did and like I stated above, it was much more capable than the driver. The car ran great, especially being shared by two drivers.

Setup at the time: Stock suspension. Active Autowerke tune and headers. 17x8.5 Kosei K1 with 255/40/17 Falken 615s (Gen 1). No idea on alignment; didn't care at the time.

Afterwards however was another story.

Turns out the problem was very simple. The right front speed sensor went bye bye. Replaced just the right front and moved onto the next event.

Last edited by mabrahams; 01-06-2020 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
redrumm3417.00