View Single Post
      08-22-2018, 10:44 AM   #92
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
The Germans engineer their cars to run full-out on the Autobahn for as long as a tank of gas holds out, not that you can even do that on the Autobahn anymore. It's no wonder they have higher oil capacities than US or
Asian cars.
FWIW, which isn't much, I go 7500 miles between changes. It always takes 7 liters and ends up right at max on the level indication. I like getting under the car and looking around for leaks while I'm there. I've never seen my oil level read less than full on either N52 I've owned.
As far as oil caps leaking, yes they do. Mine does a bit, which was only noticeable when I had the engine cover off to change spark plugs. I'll be replacing it soon. The sealing gasket on the cap has an impression on it from where it contacts the valve cover.
As someone mentioned, the OP probably had his eyes glaze over, and walked away mumbling something like "these 1Addicts are bonkers"! We are! What else would you expect from addicts?
It's always a good idea to crawl around underneath looking for any trouble. The covers do hide oil leaks, so they'll have to come off.

I'm not much of a hot rodder, but I figure my engine uses a quart of oil between changes. Assuming it isn't a leak, I think that's acceptable, but it might grow over time?
Appreciate 0