gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
LOL...

Just go test drive a BMW, any BMW.

Not one of those cursarary a 10 minute test drive either, but a good 30 minute drive.

The 1 series is an inexpensive BMW and so I guess that means that many here are getting their feet wet with BMW. Meaning, they are clueless... and compairing this 1 series to anything in this price range is hard. Only because they don't have a foundation for the engineering and drivability that is part of the DNA of BMW.

Those that know and experience this daily don't think about it any more.

Porsche are awsome sportscars, but somehow feel lacking when traveling more than an hour. If your pretty rich and have money for a second car to track 2-5 times a year, than buy a Porsche. I almost pulled the trigger on a Porsche Cayman S, but when you get to know the car, it's too involving to enjoy everyday.

The 135i will not dissapoint! Many here concerned over a few grand or "how good" this car is just need to wait to test drive it. But compairing it stat-wize to other cars in catergory is pointless. Absolutly pointless!

I simply adore the minimal, spartan interior of the e82 over the e90. Thats why I don't own a 335i.... because I was sooo in love with the e46 driver-centric design. SO, here I am waiting like the rest of you to test drive a new 1 series (135i).

-Garrett
I'm sure BMW would love to live in a fantasy world where people were willing to throw around a "few grand" for one of their cars just because it's a BMW, but they are painfully aware of the pressure on their market share coming from every corner of the globe.

I'm sure there are quite a few people out there like Garrett who will spend the extra money for the driving dynamics of the car, but not nearly enough to make the 1 Series a success in the US if it is priced to high.

There was a time not to many years ago when a large portion of BMW's cutomers were real driving enthusiasts, but that has changed drastically in the last 5-10 years, and BMW needs to be competitive with both pricing & design to keep growing it's market share. Anyone who needs proof of this needs only look at the list of standard features on any new Bimmer, to see how the shift in priorities has impacted the vehicles that they sell.

Whether BMW or any of us like it, there are more & more good cars competing for the same dollars every year.
Appreciate 0