View Single Post
      08-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #26
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I drove a manual for 2 years in Los Angeles traffic. My 40 minute commute was 1.5-2 hours daily (one way). It was tiring, but I never once wished I had an anything else. You see all those Honda S2000's on the road every day? Every single one of those are a manual. I don't remember anyone ever wishing Honda made the S2000 with an alternate transmission.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons to want DCT, but if this car is as great as BMW makes it out to be, does it really matter? The only people who will truly be upset are those who don't know how to drive a manual.
I live in Annapolis, which is right between DC and Baltimore, dude I know a few yrs back drove a S2000, on his first day at a new job in DC he was stuck in traffic 3 hours, and then beach traffic (Ocean City, MD) for 4.5 hours, and he was even going to the beach. He promptly got rid of that car for a E550 (yeah, upgrade---came with the good government job).
Many of the people, who have grown up, if they do have something like a s2000, it's a second car for the weekend. Driving manual is fun and enjoyable, but sitting in a traffic jam is a waste, like having a big breasted girlfriend, but you can't get the bra off...you can't fully exploit it.

I learned how to drive stick in a 1975 Volvo 164 (my dads) which had a 3.0 I6 and also a 67 Impala SS. Loved my Aunt's 280Z, and love my friend's RS4, E36 M3, but even they don't drive them to work in DC.

Plus, when you have Ferrari, which is far more known as more driver focused than BMW, produce the 458 with a 7 speed Dual Clutch, with faster shifts, and the 599 GTO and the 599xx, and FXX as well, hmmm, faster shifts, both hands on wheel, just maybe they know that there is more to driving than satisfying a person ego...it's not a matter of not knowing how to drive a stick, it comes down to which is faster, for them.

By your logic, a 6 shooter is better than semi-auto...in a gun fight, which would you rather have?
Appreciate 0