View Single Post
      08-28-2010, 06:57 PM   #27
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
I live in Annapolis, which is right between DC and Baltimore, dude I know a few yrs back drove a S2000, on his first day at a new job in DC he was stuck in traffic 3 hours, and then beach traffic (Ocean City, MD) for 4.5 hours, and he was even going to the beach. He promptly got rid of that car for a E550 (yeah, upgrade---came with the good government job).
Many of the people, who have grown up, if they do have something like a s2000, it's a second car for the weekend. Driving manual is fun and enjoyable, but sitting in a traffic jam is a waste, like having a big breasted girlfriend, but you can't get the bra off...you can't fully exploit it.

I learned how to drive stick in a 1975 Volvo 164 (my dads) which had a 3.0 I6 and also a 67 Impala SS. Loved my Aunt's 280Z, and love my friend's RS4, E36 M3, but even they don't drive them to work in DC.

Plus, when you have Ferrari, which is far more known as more driver focused than BMW, produce the 458 with a 7 speed Dual Clutch, with faster shifts, and the 599 GTO and the 599xx, and FXX as well, hmmm, faster shifts, both hands on wheel, just maybe they know that there is more to driving than satisfying a person ego...it's not a matter of not knowing how to drive a stick, it comes down to which is faster, for them.

By your logic, a 6 shooter is better than semi-auto...in a gun fight, which would you rather have?
+1. I drive in DC traffic all the time. It's brutal. I love driving a stick. I had a hard decision when I tested both manual and step 135's. I went with the step because I know I couldn't deal with the hassle. You forgot to also mention what Porsche is doing with their PDK transmission. It's said to be the best in the world and will out perform their manuals. You can't argue with the technology now. DCT gives the best of both worlds without compromising on the fun factor of a stick.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0