Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by takrdown View Post
What am I doing worng?

I just went to changed the spark plugs at the 90k point (the dealer did them at 45k) and when I went to start the car up after I changed them out I got multiple misfires from different cylinders...mostly 1 and 6.

I followed the DIY on the site, torqued the plugs to 23nm, and made sure the coils were well seated. The car ran perfectly before I started.

I bought the OEM spark plugs from BAVAUTO and verified that they are the exact same as the ones I took out. I've even gone as far as swapping coils and putting in the old plugs but that has fixed nothing.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

I would double check the coil pack connectors - it is possible to close them too quickly and the electrical connector doesn't sit correctly in the coil pack.
Watch that Cobb video again to see what I mean.

IF you STILL are having miss fires... I would remove those two cylinders(#1 & #6) and switch them with a "good" cylinder plug(from one of the rest, #2 thru #5) and restart up the engine and see IF you get any misfires. When you remove those two misfiring plugs... take a real close look at the gap. It is possible that one of the electrode tips is bent or not gap'd correctly. IF you have a spark plug gap gauge use it to double check the gaps.

Or maybe just reinstall two of your old spark plugs for now. Maybe get two new ones from BAVAUTO.

The reason why I bought my plugs at the dealer(more $$ I know...) was to avoid such a problem. Some say there is no difference. But I had read a few posts on the e90 forum about problems with using plugs from not a BMW dealer.

Please post and let us know what the problem was.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0