Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
So it will feel old in 10 years? And that's a reason not to buy an use for the first 10? I'm not sure I'm following here
The E46 is a great looking car; timeless. Fender fares, gills, good body lines, focused interior etc... (subjective, I know). The only thing that bothers me aesthetically is the ugly dumb 'atari' looking navigation unit. If it was simple I would convert the car to a non-navi. I turn if off first thing every time I get in the car. Only benefit is that it is lower in the dash below direct line of sight. The E82's navi is a pimple on top of the dash board. It will be an eyesore in the future. For a car that is a throwback to an enthusiast driver's focused package I feel like the navigation unit was an addendum that they know they needed to put in place. Currently, most people couldn't imagine spending ~$50k for a new car that did not have navigation, and so it was made available as an option.

My opinion is coming from the perspective that I plan to own the car for a long time and from that future perspective I'm glad my car did not have it. I did not buy my car new in 2011. Now, secondhand, I would not refuse a good 1M solely for the fact that it had navigation, but I would try to find one without. I also have a 2016 i3, and by comparison only 5 years later the E82 unit feels old and cumbersome.