View Single Post
      09-19-2009, 12:12 AM   #14
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnorton776 View Post
I doubt it would be my tires or alignment because the vibrations only start and stop when i press on the gas peddle and rev the engine while under load etc... Im thinking it is either the engine, transmission, or exhaust or a combination of all. have no idea.. taking it to sonnen bmw this saturday to have it looked at. anyone know of best service center in bay area?
Have it checked. You might have an ignition coil going bad.
At idle it can feel smooth, but under load it might be showing it's fault, which is, it's not firing everytime. You'll feel it as a vibe.
Most often it happens at idle too, so you're idle will not feel smooth, and when you take off it'll feel very vibey and jerky.
If this occurs only under load and not idle, then it'll feel like a vibe as well.

The other thing it could be is a engine mount that is damaged/faulty.
It could be loose or broken, but BMW should be able to diagnose that too.

Wheel vibration is felt in the steering, seats, and cabin depending on where the balance problem is. But, balance problems typically occur around the same speed everytime. So, once you hit like 55mph you feel the vibe.
Then as you keep going faster it could disappear at say 70mph.
That's usually a tire/wheel balance issue.

Balance vibes in the steering or pedals tends to indicate the balance problem is in the front tires/wheels. Vibes in your seat, passenger seat, or cabin, then to indicate a problem with the rear wheels/tires.

Alignment is almost never the cause of tire/wheel vibration.
Poor alignment can cause irregular tire wear, which then could cause a vibration.
If your tires are wearing oddly, then yes, have the alignment checked too.

One more thing, your exhaust system can cause these types of vibes under load as well. If the exhaust system has broken hangers somewhere, it will allow the system to vibrate, and since it's attached to your engine it will come through there into the steering and shifter, and possibly into the cabin.

If it's obvious and/or getting worse, take it in.
Appreciate 0