View Single Post
      05-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #2
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

This may be unlikely, but pay attention and see if the music skips a few seconds after you run over a bump.

Hard drives have a moving disk (like a CD) inside, which spins. Just like old CD portable players, the hard drive's disk will "skip" if it moves. When this disk skips, your music will too. However, the music skipping won't happen instantly after going on a bump, because the music is most likely buffered, meaning the portion of the song you will hear in say, 5 seconds, is already "taken off" the hard drive and ready to be played. If the buffer is (for example) 5 seconds, your music will skip 5 seconds after you run over a bump or pothole, etc.

I remember when I took the bus and watched movies with my laptop, the movie always skipped a second or two after going over a bump, but this issue may be unrelated in the case of your car.

Note for technical people: I know the stuff I said is not 100% technically correct, but I tried to make it understandable for the OP in case he is not tech savvy.
Appreciate 0