04-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228iC -picked up 8-13-16!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
I know this may not be what you want to hear, but I'd focus first on the model decision, then figure out the financial aspects and feasibility. If you really want one model over the other, but you make your decision based primarily on the numbers, you might kick yourself for a long while.

Aside from the drivetrain difference, a 128i and 135i can be nearly identically configured, so I think you should ask yourself (and be honest):

Do you feel like you desire more power most of the time or just once in a while?

Do you pay attention to the engine characteristics (naturally aspirated vs. turbo) and care how they affect your driving style, or is that not important to you?

Would you mind adding a little weight to the car to gain more power?
Thanks.
No, I'm sure I'd love the power. My dad has a 11' 1M, it has lots of appeal to car enthusiasts, especially in the BMW CCA.

My 128i is very nice. I've attached a pic. I'm a long time BMW CCA member and at 32 years old I've been around it since I was a little kid (dad is an officer). No serious enthusiast even glances an eye at my car because it's just a 128i. In saying that, it doesn't bother me....I built this car to my standards 100%. *It would be cool though to have a 135i for the fact that enthusiasts would actually draw conversation with me LOL. To them I drive a non sport girl's car. To me it's an elegant stylish cruiser that looks great.
When I got the car I was 29 and it was my first ever NEW BMW. There was no way that I could afford a nicely optioned 135i vert at the time.

Back to the 135i: The engine is not the issue though. I love the light blue color as it is very similar to my 1988 325i. Wish I could still get the 1 tone grey boston leather again....that's where the kicking starts, regardless of price and options.
It looks best IMHO. Wish they still made it. Not a fan of the 2 tone color interiors. Black has nothing to do with such a nice lighter shade of blue.
I think oyster will be better than taupe, but still both are not as nice as grey .

Basically for the 135i I get an enthusiast approved car that looks great. Looks aggressive. M sport package. Would fit in with the 135i coupe guys in my bmw cca club.
Has LCI. That's a plus.
(Hate the smokers pkg ( I have the tray), Despise the rear seat ski bag & parcel tray. I also get the jacked up 2012 convertible headrests which cannot be lowered without taking apart your interior and modifying the headrest posts. (mine doesn't have this stupid feature)
Production date sticker does not have a BMW roundel on it...looks worse to me.
2 tone interior only looks great if you have a dark color bimmer (excludes the space grey/coral red , titanium/coral red, and alpind white/coral red..they look good with 2 tone) Blue water doesn't look great with oyster, The only ideal interior choice for such a light blue (even taupe looks odd with it) This is all IMHO, of course.

I'd buy my car out but it was rear ended by a sloppy 40 year old (& non-insured) lady driving a beaten up 1996 Nissan 240sx on 3-19-13 (minor cosmetic) damage). Just got my car back from repair on Friday. The paint doesn't match! The BMW dealership knows how anal I am, they told me the day I dropped it off that it would not match 100%. They were right and the paint doesn't match. I can tell it was repainted.
My car is a 6-2010 production car with 19k miles and I was planning to buy it out...but not after this. I cannot accept driving around for 7 years with the buper looking like that. A lot of people would accept this, but it doesn't look right to me. I'm not trying to anger anyone with my stubbornness. I'm disappointed and it just happened recently. Not over it yet. I certainly don't look at my car the same way. I've already started just putting off it's car washing routine this week. I feel like why bother.

With all this going on, I have been closely following the 2012+ 1 series cars and I've always built mine for fun on the configurator in Blue Water with Oyster and Moonlight top. Nothing has changed there. Always thought about doing it.

Still don't think the Oyster (because of the BLACK portions of the paneling. The Oyster is just an "insert". To me it's a cost-saving move..."make all our door cards in black then slap in some color inserts" Even all the roll-over protection beams behind the rear headrests are Black. Looks out of place and cheap.

I have so many thoughts running around about what to do. I guess I'll find out in due time. My current 128i lease is up in July. Not a good vibe though because I spend every day thinking about a choice I have to make. I don't want a 2 series.
2013 320i sedan (Sapphire Black Metallic, Black/Black)
2016 228i convertible (Mineral White, Oyster Leather, Luxury Line)

Last edited by Uptempo80; 04-04-2013 at 11:08 PM..
Appreciate 0