View Single Post
      11-22-2018, 03:57 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

First... make a video of the problem with the engine starting in the morning.
Second... take some pics of those weird marks on the battery terminals.

Third... get a scan tool that can read BMW codes and not just a generic scan tool. You can buy the app BMW Carly or BMWhat for your phone and a OBDII dongle to go into the car's diagnostic OBDII port.

Sounds to me that your engine cranks but doesn't fire. Right ?

Could be the HPFP(High Pressure Fuel Pump), that tends to give your LONG cranks. IF so also replace the fuel pressure sender/switch under the intake manifold as well. US spec cars had the HPFP covered under an extended warranty. RoW cars don't qualify... but its a known problem area. The fuel injectors are also known to go bad. You must replace them in sets of three. Preferably all six at once. I think #12 is the latest version of injectors.

How old are the spark plugs ? Older than 30K miles(50K kms) just go and replace them. Maybe the coils too bc car with over 80K miles the coils tend to fail. You might just want to change the engine oil bc you don't know how long its been in there and it could be saturated with unburt gasoline from short drives or a bad spark plug/coil or injector.

Once the engine does "catch" or "fire" how does the engine idle ? I seriously doubt your car battery is bad or that your "steering unit" is the cause. Buy a scan tool. Log all the fault codes, then clear them and see what fault codes comes back.

Dackel
Appreciate 0