View Single Post
      06-11-2019, 07:18 AM   #35
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I was out convertible shopping with my kids in early 2009 after the death of their mother. I thought about another motorcycle but decided there are too many car drivers that do not see motorcycles. So I decided to buy a convertible. My daughter and I drove a Miata and liked it but there was no space for my son and very little space for any luggage. We were thinking of trying a Mustang when we saw a BMW dealership with a 1 series on display.

I had only driven a BMW once before. I helped a guy move his two cars from Kansas City to Philadelphia. I drove one of ours the other direction and was planning to fly back and get the other when he asked. I was going to decline when he told me he wanted me to drive his 911 Carrera. He would drive his Bavaria. This was about 1982 and neither was close to a new car. But they were both still pretty nice. We traded off once or twice and I was surprised that the Bavaria felt a bit like the Porsche. Handled nice, stable at speed, etc..

So I had to try the 128i convertible. It was an automatic which I did not want but I was impressed. Space was a squeeze but we could all fit (6'2", 5'9", 6'3"). Enough space for a weeks worth of luggage. I did the numbers and looked around. Nobody had a 128i with a manual, coupe or convertible. So I ordered mine with sport package and walnut interior trim. No other options. Still happy with it, planning to keep it as long as it is reliable.

Only real issue with it is grand kids. Both my kids married after I purchased my e88 and have started producing grandkids . My daughter says the back seat isn't big enough for a car seat. I've done it but she objects. She lives a thousand miles away so I just rent something bigger when she visits. Works at least for now. But I sat in a X2M at the dealership and really liked it...
..Rush..973.50
Lucky1650.00
duder13767.00