11-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #3
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
135i suspensions were designed for run flats so they are softened a bit to reduce harshness. With that said having lower offset wheels than were intended for the car can have the effect of softening the suspension on top of that. If you can imagine the suspension arms pivot and the farther out you go from the pivot point gives you mechanical advantage. Like when you use a pry bar. If you grab it close to the pivot it takes a lot of force. The farther away you go the less force required. So when you go into a corner with wrong offset the mechanical effect pushes springs up with less force. So if you plan to change both at same time it can be a drastic change especially if you run run flats. So I would first decide on proper rims and tires first and see how you like it. Then you can pick up some bmw performance shocks and springs from 135is or a coil over kit. Also don't forget sidewall aspect. If you are running 18" you can also go stiffer but 19s also impact ride and performance. It's a system meant to work together not separately. So I recommend you go with proper offset 18s with non runflat high performance tires first. Then see how you like it. Stiffer is not always better and I can tell you the interior plastics in our car are not very good so be ready for a lot of creaking and rattling if you go stiff. Best wishes
The 135is has the same M Sport suspension that the standard 135i came with. The Performance shocks and springs you mentioned are part of the BMW Performance suspension for the 1 series. There were some 135is owners who added the Performance suspension to their cars after purchase, but no 135is (or any 135i) came standard with it. It had to be purchased separately. I have it for my 135i. BTW, I'm pretty sure the BMW Performance suspension is NLA, as are several other Performance parts for the 1 series. Sadly, they are being discontinued.