09-05-2014, 11:44 PM   #40
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Lots of guys install the M3 front sway bar. But I think that can only increase understeer at the limit. The reason why everyone seems to like this mod is bc they get no where near the limit on the street - and the stiffer bar really cuts down on front end sway and makes the steering feel more direct.
Respectfully disagree that a bigger front bar will increase understeer, unless you're running a ton of static negative camber, or pretty stiff front spings. On stock or modestly more negative camber, and street spring rates, I believe the improvement in the camber of the outside wheel swamps out the increased weight transfer to that wheel. And the positive effect only gets better at increased lateral loads.

I think this is true for most cars with front McPherson struts. Their camber curve is so lousy that anything that decreases roll can only help front grip.

On a car with a decent camber curves, say with upper and lower control arms, it would be a different story. Charts that say a bigger front bar will always create understeer simply neglect the camber issue.

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 09-05-2014 at 11:49 PM..
Appreciate 1