Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringteg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
If you find the car tail happy, and already have camber plates to increase front negative camber, consider a larger front sway bar. It will help increase rear grip. I run 0.5 degrees more negative camber up front and have the M3 convertible FSB. It turns in beautifully, and is very well balanced in neutral at the limit on my square set up. Overall I have found the optimal grip and treadwear at -2.7° camber in the front and -2.2° camber in the rear.
I sent you a PM but just wondering if you think -2.0 deg front camber will be enough to prevent excessive outer tire wear (Michelin Pilot Sport) at track days (HPDE/lapping days). I can adjust mine to -2.99 deg front camber if necessary but -2.0 deg front camber feels great already for street/autox.
I think it really depends on goals. If you are using the same tires for both purposes, there needs to be a compromise. I have usually had excessive inner wear even when running a conservative -2.3 front -1.6 rear alignment back when I drive the car a lot more and used dual purpose tires for street and track. Grip was down at the lower camber settings, autocross results suffered and the inner tread blocks wore to cords when there was still tread above the wear bars in the outside so it wasn't even worth it. The car was being daily driven about 8k miles and autocrossed 5-6 times. The daily use clearly prevailed on the treadwear.

I am now using an 18" square setup on my current alignment settings above and have nearly finished off a set of BFG rivals. They are wearing evenly with nearly 100% track and autocross use, no more than 1k street miles. My type 359's are mounted with Michelin PS4S and I fully expect them to wear excessively on the inner blocks, but they will last longer than dual purpose RE71 or Rivals so I don't feel like I am throwing money away.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1