View Single Post
      08-04-2020, 06:29 PM   #1
slas1990
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

VVT Issues after valve cover gasket replacement?

So after 8 great years, the time has come for me to part with my 128i 'vert. I thought I would set the next owner off on the right foot and also have some fun by replacing the valve cover gasket.

A few hours and choice muttered swear words later, I have the gasket properly seated and the VC back on. I go to start the car, and after a few moments it revs up to 1500RPM and then begins to idle erratically and stall. I check all the sensors, connections, and etc., then restart. Same thing.

I noted that when I unplug the the valvetronic motor, it does not behave this way and runs/idles just fine. Plug the motor back in and the erratic behavior resumes. Strangely, if I use INPA to clear the fault codes after shutting down, the problem does not occur on the next start, but does return on the following start.

I reset the adjustment motor adaptations with INPA and this does not seem to help. INPA shows code 2A82 Inlet VANOS (218) Moves with difficulty - jammed mechanically. Should I replace the adjustment motor?

I am frustrated that this short project is turning into a protracted affair, and want to be able to sell the car while the summer sun is still attracting 'vert buyers. I see a litany of folks with similar errors, but have not seen someone else report that unplugging the adjustment motor makes things OK.

Any tips?
Appreciate 0