12-31-2020, 01:42 AM   #30
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
nope it's hollow, the spring fits up inside it
Any chance you've messed with this at all? I bought a second pump since mine was groaning like crazy with 315's up front. I just swapped in a modified setup just to see what would happen... I added a shim to compress the spring a bit but I have no clue if this is actually how it works... like said above, the valve doesn't seem to have a pressure regulator in it. It just seems to be a flow control orifice. I guess high pressure is bypassed by the spring compressing though which is why I shimmed (preloaded) the spring.

Result: I THINK the steering feels lighter. I don't daily the car and haven't driven it in weeks... but it did feel lighter. The pump also did not groan at all which leads me to believe pressure was higher. But, this could all be placebo. I might pull the pump again tomorrow and shim the spring even more...

The washer I used to shim the spring was good for about 4-5mm of preload since the washer also prevents the spring from seating in it's perch. Each additional washer would be another 1.2mm. That is, if this is even a proper way to increase pressure...

Maybe I should skip all these washers and drill out the orifice? I would guess I would need to drill out the orifice inside the pump and also bore out the needle control valve? That I am guessing would increase flow but at the risk that pressure would drop too much... maybe add 2-3 more washers to the spring seat and then bore out the orifice?

These are the two different places you could places washers to preload the spring, but, does that achieve the intended goal?:

This is where I placed a washer (#10 washer):

These are the two orifices that I think I should drill out?:

Appreciate 1