03-29-2017, 07:54 PM   #203
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
IF you are going to change the spark plugs... you might also want to change the pollen filter too - while your in there. You have to remove the pollen filter tray to get the plastic (fake - outer) valve cover off to get at the coil packs/plugs.

Don't use any anti seize on spark plug threads. Change the plugs on a cold engine. Use a torque wrench with a low scale calibration: 23Nm

Before starting work... double check that you have the correct part number spark plugs. Quite a few people have gotten N54 plugs for a N55 motor. They are not interchangeable! Double check.

Also... you might want to have a new spare coil pack on hand... incase one of your old coils breaks when removing. I used a six inch 1/2" extension inside the coil's "loop" pull tab as I slowly pulled up on the coil. Go slow... some of those coils are really stuck into those "holes".

You can also use some dielectric grease(just a smidge) on the top of the plug where it snaps onto the coil pack. But I did not use any.

Also having some 6mm allens or 6mm hex 1/4 sockets or bits might help in removing that one rear hex bolt that holds the fake valve cover on. Also have one of those telescoping magnetic tools for finding anything you drop down into the belly pan.

And lastly... IF you can change your own oil... you can change your spark plugs. Its not hard.

Btw... its almost time for me to change my plugs again too. I just bought a set of six coil packs from Oembimmerparts.com for $176 for the set of six coils. Just FYI. I didn't get any kickbacks... I just thought it was a good price on OEM factory coils. Now I just need a warm day to go work on my car in the garage.

https://www.oembimmerparts.com/1-Ser...rts-s/2196.htm

Good Luck,
Dackel
I am going to change my plugs in next few days and bought the same $176 coil pack. Great deal! But do I really need to change my coils at 50,000 miles? Should I wait until my next plug change?

Thank you!

Peace... Mack
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10588.50