03-06-2019, 05:06 PM   #54
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post

I also really like this video by engineering explained.

For me it took a while, but I really learned to appreciate there's a method to BMW's madness. Some things are bonehead designs (basically anything plastic that's supposed to last a long time) but others are genius engineering.

I do appreciate you're making the effort to learn these systems and see where improvements can be made. Most people just file this info as 'too complex and itll break, not gonna learn about it'

I like to troll people saying my car doesn't need a throttle body, can run just fine without an intake manifold, my throttle pedal adjusts intake valve lift and a few other weird things.
I'm always down to learn new things as I've always preferred to do things myself. I didn't know how the learning curve would be with BMW's.

I reworked my first engine at 16 years old. I had a friend direct me with tear down, then basically said he was done....and if I wanted to drive my car again I needed to put it back together.

I worked in various garages through summer and during college....even once working in an import shop. Worked on a lot of VW products.

When I got my first Corvette, I started hanging around a guy that did tuning and I purchased the software. From him and forums, through trial and error, I learned to tune and data log my own cars.

So guys forgive me if I ask what may come across as dumb questions with obvious answers. I've been trying to research as much as possible.

I'm the type of person that will read and read, then it's like a light switches on and i grasp the concept and then learn fairly quickly.

All of you guys have been a great help just in the 7-8 weeks I've owned the car. I'm fairly confident with all the other stuff such as suspension and most of the drivetrain.....it's trying to grasp the concept of how the engine and DME function that is going to be the curve for me as it is so different!

But I appreciate the patience from all of you guys!
Appreciate 1
asbrr544.50