bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I do not think drivers of BMW 1 series vehicles need to worry about using Castrol 0-40 or even Mobil 1 0-40 that used to carry the LL-01 rating but no longer do. Despite the fact that there are containers of at least the Castrol in circulation with the LL-01 on them. I believe the issue is that BMW changed the LL-01 rating for the turbo 4 cylinder engine and require the oil manufacturer to re-certify their oil to retain the LL-01 rating. So far Castrol and Mobil have not done that. But we do not drive vehicles with the B58 engine. So the same oil that BMW formerly said was OK for our engines should still be OK.

If I pushed the oil to maximum life I might feel differently. But I change it every 5,000 miles which is about 3 times a year. So I am not draining oil with all the additives gone. It's easier to change add lubrication margin by changing it more often than it is to try and use the latest and greatest oil. At least that is my theory.

If I had a B58, especially the 300+ hp version, I would be more cautious and find oil with the LL-01 rating.
I agree. I think that's valid reasoning.