View Single Post
      11-10-2009, 06:57 PM   #16
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Wow, I didn't get a single reply in almost 4 months and you guys just resurrected it overnight with a flurry of comments! LOL

An update: so far I started with the JB3 (PnP v. 1.4). Install was a breeze, took an hr only because I was cautious and a first-timer, def 30 min job next time. Ran it on Map 3 as it came out of the box, noticed the difference immediately from stock. Running it currently on Map 5 as I have 93 Octane here, and car pulls very strong. I will dyno it soon, I have a baseline dyno (280whp/283wtq), so will post once I do the pulls on Map 5 (same dyno machine naturally).

To answer people's questions: yes, getting rid of the RFTs was the mirst mod I did, and very happy with the General Exclaim UHPs. Car is much transformed. Not bouncy and kidney hurting ride anymore, and much much better on the wet. Technically they are M+S rated, so while I won't be driving them in snow, I can feel the better grip at the current colder temps compared to the RFTs. So grip is better, and I upgraded to a 225/255 setup.

Now that the increase in power is felt, my next mod will definitely focus around improving the suspension geometry. I am looking into the BMW Performance Suspension, partly because I have earned enough pts on my BMW CC and can get it for 'free', plus people seem to be very happy with it, and of course warranty is preserved. Reviews were good in Bimmer Magazine, also following the Evo car magazine (UK) in-house car. In the latest issue they just installed the BMW PS and can't wait to see next month's review by them.

Oil cooler - agree, this is very much a mod for serious track junkies in warmer weather, so I will likely leave that for last. Much more worthy mods ahead of this.

Exhaust - been looking into the Maddad Whisper exhaust, but waiting until they release their midpipes and maybe do the combo. Like the sound, looks and build quality. I figure better use my BMW pts for the suspension as opposed to the BMW Performance Exhaust which I was initially leaning towards.

Intake - the more I think about it, the less likely it is I am going to do one. Maybe I can find a barely used one off the For Sale forum and will try it for S&G, but thinking it may be detrimental for street use rather than a HP booster. Waiting to see the AFE closed-box intake which seems to be coming to market soon. I recall reading European Magazine's Proven Section (all the way in the back pages), and while the JB3 scored big points with them on the dyno, the AFE seemed to not pass with such flying colors.

FMIC - the reason why I was thinking Active is because they are a very reputable tuner, had some things off them on my E39 M5, and have personally been to their offices and met the owners. Obviously they have done some magnificent projects (blown E90 M3, etc.), so that was another reason I trust them. However I don't want to start cutting stuff just to make it fit, so at this point I have expanded my search to include other tuners that offer a direct PnP solution. Definitely open to suggestion from you guys.

Keep the feedback flowing!!!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0