View Single Post
      12-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #31
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
The original H8 halogen bulb is not more than a resistor. Why wouldn't the black box be a simple dissipative resistor? Did you open one of the black boxes? Interested to see pictures on the black box contents or its electrical circuit schematic.
There are dozens of reasons why using a resistor in this sort of application would be a bad idea, but you could do it, it would just be the size of a roll of dimes and have to be mounted outside the headlight in a metal box and then you'd still have to make a circuit to dampen the bulb check.

I've actually gone so far as to engineer an LED angel eye solution. All of them are designed in the same way. It's just a high efficiency high power micro sized power supply, combined with a circuit to deal with the bulb check and all the other weird things the car does with these bulbs. It's not a resistor at all though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
Never got the LUX H8's to work. Returned them. VERY DISAPPOINTED.
It wasn't an installation error. I had the best engineers install them.
The part fits and has the all the correct clearance. Trying to say it wasn't installation error is absurd. It's like giving someone a regulation sized basketball and a regulation sized net and then some dude telling you he is the best basketball player and him not being able to get the ball in the net wasn't HIS fault, it was the ball's because he's the best. It's just ridiculous. If your insaller is really telling you he is so great and blaming the part then those guys are exactaly the sort of people I would never let touch my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramanga View Post
Out of interest, what is other one ? I don't thinking want to try Lux after reading people have had to replace headlight units! Scary...
The guy didn't have to replace his headlight unit because the LUX driver jammed his headlight, he had to replace it because another bulb's driver jammed it. The Lux isn't the right shape to jam the leveling unit as far as I remember, you'd need a less boxy driver to risk that. Either way if you tape the driver down it's not going anywhere so I wouldn't worry at all if you do it right, especially with a boxy driver like on the LUX. I recommend using the tape they use for putting numbers on the sides of houses, it's very solid, you can get that at hardware stores, it's grey. I've never seen it come loose.

I recommend the Angel iBright 3 and the Lux H8 and nothing else, for BMW's but i don't think the Angel iBright fits the 1M. The Angel iBright is even more difficult to instal though by far on the M3 though.

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Appreciate 0