07-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #38
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtiGyver View Post
Its really difficult to put in words but you are making an incorrect assumption about the losses when comparing both types of LSD.
I'm still not quite sure which part is incorrect.
If there's a mistake, I'd like to clarify it in the 1st post. So maybe you can help me clarify that point.

Quote:
The reason being that they designed to limit the difference between the speed between output shafts and not the frame of the car like an eLSD.
I'm not seeing a difference here....

Quote:
eg:

left wheel: 15rpm
right wheel: 40rpm
In this scenario, the right wheel is losing grip.
The delta: 25rpm inside the the LSD.

For an eLSD, it will need to slow the wheel directly (40rpm) and modulate the brakes until the delta is within limits.
I would argue against usage of the word "modulate" here, since the brakes aren't applied in a "binary" (all on/all off) fashion.

Also, applying some friction will slow the fast wheel down, but not to 25rpm. As friction is applied to the 40rpm wheel (using the brakes), the 25rpm wheel will speed up, since it now receives power from the driveshaft.

Quote:
For a hardware LSD, it only needs to account for 25rpm, and that while using the engine driveshaft as a reference, not the motionless frame of the car.
Hope this clears things up a little on this rather cloudy topic.
No, sorry. Doesn't clear it up for me...
Inside the diff, the half-shaft is pressed against the left or right inside of the diff, causing friction on the output of that half-shaft (right wheel spins, right wheel output half-shaft friction increases).

I'm still not sure what the difference is between applying friction on the inside end of the half shaft (by applying friction to the diff housing; attached to the "motionless frame of the car", btw.) and applying friction to the outside end of the half shaft (by applying the brakes).

Not trying to be dense here, but I don't see the difference just yet.
Appreciate 0