MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C | '20 100AE ND2

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops128i View Post
Well, I test drove a GTI with a manual and one with their dual clutch trans. I really did prefer the manual. However, I don't think a test drive is enough experience to make a definitive judgment for ones self. If I had several weeks with a dual clutch, I might have a different opinion.

Where you initially impressed with DCT to buy it, or was it something you wanted to try, and have enjoyed it more as time goes on?
I wouldn't compare the DSG in the GTi to the DCT in the 135i. When I test drove a DSG GTi, I wasn't impressed with the system. The shifts were lightning fast both up and down, but what annoyed me was I noticed a slight delay on activating upshifts. I would pull the paddle, then there would be a half second delay before the actual shift. The shift was quick, but that delay was annoying. I don't get that delay in the DCT on any shifts and that's what makes it a lot more enjoyable, to me.

To answer your question, I originally wanted to order a 6mt. I decided to order the DCT after driving a Cayman S equipped with PDK. I was really impressed with dual clutch transmissions after driving the PDK car. The DCT isn't quite as good as the PDK, only because the PDK's "Sport Plus" mode is a lot better than the DCT's S+Sport Button, but in manual modes, both are equal.